2 May 2012

William Patten School Wall, Stoke Newington, London

William Patten School in Stoke Newington, Hackney, dates from 1892, when it was known as Church Street School. But unfortunately I can't discover anything about the (obviously much more recent) artwork on the school wall in Stoke Newington Church Street, which I find quite original and attractive.

A multi-lingual 'Hello' or equivalent.

Various types of food, with three mosaics.

In other places, the content relates to more political matters: 'Unity is strength', 'Knowledge is power', 'Low pay', 'ANL', 'Blair Peach', 'Equal pay', etc, although the meaning of 'Cuts 2+2=1?' escapes me, and I'm unclear if 'Houghton strike' refers to political action or is something to do with sport. Any comments are welcome.

And while the meaning of 'Occupy County Hall' is clear, I have no idea what 'Victory 3. 3. 1982' refers to. Again, suggestions welcome below.

No comments: