11 July 2015

Edward Leedskalnin: Magnetic Current (written 1945, published 2011)

I didn't notice this little publication in the bookshop at Coral Castle, Homestead, Florida earlier this March, so I was delighted today to find this copy of Magnetic Current by Edward Leedskalnin (the creator of Coral Castle) in an Oxfam bookshop in Glossop, UK, just within the Derbyshire border.

Not that, as a scientifically illiterate person, I can understand any of it. But it was well worth £1.49 just for the cover, which shows a representation of a rather young-looking Leedskalnin (1887–1951) fiddling with, er, something scientific. As for the text, well, I was lost at the first line: 'This writing is lined up so when you read it you look East': I'm sure he knew what he was talking about even if I don't. And I can see that his writings must have been deeply idiosyncratic when he tells us that this essay – just nineteen pages, or rather sheets the left-hand pages are blank – stems from two years' research with magnets at 'Rock Gate. [...] Between Twenty-fifth and Twenty-sixth Latitude and Eightieth and Eighty-first Longitude West'.

The final two sentences of the penultimate paragraph are addressed to 'the rocket people': 'Make the rocket's head strong North Pole magnet, and the tail end strong South Pole magnet, and then shut to on the moon's North end, then you will have better success.' I've no idea if any 'rocket people' have heeded Edward Leedskalnin's advice and been grateful for it, and although I understand almost nothing of it I'm sure he knew what he was on with.

Magnetic Current is published by Martino Publishing, Mansfield Centre [sic], CT.
 

My other Edward Leedskalnin post:

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
The Outsider Art of Edward Leedskalnin

No comments: